Wednesday 9 May 2007

Buddies

We have this really twee thing at work called Buddies.

At the start of a new year in September we all fill out a form which shows our name, date of birth and like and dislikes etc. This form gets put in an envelope and you pick one out and that person becomes your buddy for the academic year.

Over the academic year you are supposed to remember your Buddy on their birthday, Christmas, Easter etc., if they have a bad day - you know the sort of rubbish I mean. Then you buy them something and leave it in their pigeon hole.

My Buddy - the one I buy for, gets loads of stuff (weekly in fact). Every time I am out and about, I think, Oh, my Buddy will like that, and I buy it and put it in my Buddy Box ready to take into work on any occasion, like 'Oh it's Tuesday'. Thoroughly spoilt is my Buddy - regularly. Last year was the same - I had an NQT (newly qualified teacher to those not in the know), and I spoilt him rotten.

Me - bugger all. My Buddy last year bought me a diet book (how rude) and a pair of rubber gloves with pink fur and pearl bracelets on - which I had to give to the cleaner (not even suitable for the bedroom). This year - nothing......not a sausage from my Buddy.

At the end of the year, in July, when we have the big Buddy Reveal, my Buddy (the one I buy for) will be grateful and happy for what I have purchased for her (I know - she's as shallow as me), but how will my Buddy (the one purchasing for me) feel - probably won't give a rats ass.

I sound bitter, because I am - when will the world learn - I LIKE GETTING GIFTS - shallow person that I am, spend money one me - but not on anything of a VAX nature.

1 comment:

Drunk Mummy said...

Your Buddy obviously misunderstood the concept. Presumably they interpreted the idea as 'miserable bugger.' Make sure they buy you a drink after the Buddy Reveal.