Monday 21 May 2007

Nails

I here by declare that I give up, once and for all, in trying to grow my nails.

I have tried everything. I have tried stop'n'grow, I have tried clear nail polish jobbies that are supposed to help them grow - you name it I have tried.

As a last ditch attempt, as I was going out on Friday night with friends, I went and had acrylics done. They were fantastic, my hands felt elegant and glamorous, I was thrilled with them. On Saturday, bit of gardening I thought. Oh, my, god - have you every tried to get soil out from under them. I am a very 'hands on' gardener, I don't do gloves and stuff I prefer to get stuck in. I really should have thought that one through though before went and put my hands into the mud. On Sunday I cooked roast beef and all the trimmings - have you ever tried to get food out from underneath them. Today at work I discovered that you cannot type with them (well you can but not accurately), and lets face it, in my job that's a bit of a handicap. So I committed the mortal sin for all false nail wearers, I sat a picked and peeled and eventually pulled them off and have ruined my real nails, but boy oh boy do I feel better.

No, long nails, not for me!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog. It reminds me so much of me. My nails are a complete disgrace; I bite them, pick them and most days have them covered in plasters. I've tried stop'n'grow which my taste buds became accustomed to and also falseys but like you found it virtually impossible to type. One day I realised it's my eyes people look at when they're talking to me, not my nails. Just put ya hands in ya pockets!

The Secretary said...

Crystal - I soooo love the taste of stop'n'grow - it's addictive. I am past caring now - fo goodness sake I'm 41 and the rest has gone to pot, why would I want fab nails!!!

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Have you tried eating a cube of jelly a day? That is supposed to make them strong.

I also thought lots of typing helped?

I type lots and have nails which my sister describes as 'shovel'.

Top - not very hygenic - tip for removing muck from under nails is to make pastry....

Anonymous said...

Making pastry is very low down on my agenda. I did try it once but found mucking out sheep pens much more enjoyable.

Drunk Mummy said...

Oh memories....I used to have blood red talons when I had acrylic nails. They were so fantastic, and gave me such a feeling of power. I still picked at them though!

debio said...

A beautician once told me that if you wear those acrylic jobbies for too long one's own nails become subject to fungal attack and will rot off...
Anyway, haven't tried them....yet. All my nails broke, never to grow the same again, when my father died.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

the problem with my nails is that I get them to a perfect length and then just CANNOT help nibbling and peeling away at them. Many is the time I have nine perfect talons and one bitten peeled one!

The Secretary said...

I have to confess to everyone here that one problem of mine is gin and tonic. I get to, oh how ever many, and I start to nibble. I suppose they are like peanuts at a bar (but more hygenic) - I nibble OK! I feel so much better now!

Omega Mum said...

Nail biting is low on the sin list. I'd just do what comes naturally and not worry. Think how much worse it could all be.

Omega Mum said...

Nail biting is low on the sin list. I'd just do what comes naturally and not worry. Think how much worse it could all be.

minoritymum said...

Don't worry, trim is in!

Anonymous said...

Secretary, my dear, gardening and 'nice nails' are a contradiction in terms!

And I agree with Debio - the acrylics look fabulous but long term use is supposed to damage the nail bed. (Sorry about your dad, Debio)

Never mind - a well weeded garden and a well cooked roast are better than perfect nails!

Catherine said...

Hey, where are you? Missing you.