Monday 23 April 2007

St George

Today, as we know, is St George's Day.

I feel slightly saddened that there was no celebration today, no lessons about St George, no assemblies etc. When I was at school the day meant something and I think it still should. What does it mean to be English - ask any student at our school and I really do not believe that they would be able to tell you. They are taught 'Citizenship', but that's all about being a 'global citizen', whatever that is. Bring back St George and the like and give students 'Englishness' to 'identify' with.

I know people say that St George wasn't even English, but St Patrick, who is celebrated so enthusiastically, wasn't Irish. He was born in Roman Britain and captured by the Irish and taken back to Ireland as a slave. St Andrew was born in Bethsaida on the Sea of Galilee - not in Scotland. St David is the only one of the lost who was actually from the country who have adopted him as their saint - so the fact that St George isn't English certainly shouldn't stop us celebrating out patron saints day.

Rant over!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

In my very traditional english village, people were dressed up in medieval costumes and cavorting around the village green, not sure to what purpose. Come to me next year!

The Secretary said...

Sounds bliss. I just feel that we have 'lost' a lot of the traditonal things that we used to do. I remember Harvest Festival, I don't think my boys have ever been to one at their schools. It's just sad.

Catherine said...

Move to the country. We do all that stuff here and some. I'm back to work tomorrow, having now fully recovered. Wish me luck.

Anonymous said...

Your post? 100% agreement!

Bogger Blogger said...

Out of curiosity, how did you mark the day with your children?

I completely agree that all these festivals should be marked (all the patron saints, chinese new year, diwali, eid, carnival). Nothing used to happen on Georges day when I first moved to London so I used to ensure my circle of friends got together for a few pints of ale. Not long after that the pubs all started promoting it.....

Not that that was due to me I hasten to add, but it all has to start somewhere.