Friday 20 April 2007

Distressed

I have been too distressed to write for two whole days.

I returned from work on Wednesday. I had not yet had my present from my husband, so I was quite excited. He is an excellent present buyer (you so know where this is going, don't you).

"Oh, your present is in the lounge.", He says when I get home. He is so excited about giving me my present that I am getting excited as well.

Now let me put this in perspective. Last year I received two tickets to The Producers on Broadway and he whisked me off to New York for the week without the boys. The year before I received a Louis Vuitton handbag, and so on, the presents are alway fab.

I unwrap the box - "Oh!", I say, it's a VAX carpet shampooer, yippee!"

I could not believe what I been given. Oh this is a joke present, my real one is in the box somewhere hidden amoungst the shampooer gadgets - oh no they weren't.

So I assembled the carpet shampooer and went and shampooed carpets with it. "Don't do that love, it's your birthday.", he says.

Through gritted teeth, I say, "You bought me a bloody carpet shampooer, I am going to bloody well shampoo carpets."

I tell people at work the next day and they are horrified. The Head emails him and asks is she can borrow it. He replies, No she is very emotionally attached to her VAX, so attached I slept in the spare room last night and she slept with the VAX.

Enough said.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh no! That's far, far worse than the wrong sort of earrings. It'll be saucepans next.

Drunk Mummy said...

Dear Secretary,
My husband bought me a Dustbuster for Christmas, but the really embarrassing thing about it is that I was delighted! Seeing your list of fabulous prezzies, I now realise how short-changed I have been all these years.

rilly super said...

Never mind New York, even a trip to Ealing Broadway would be a treat for me these days, sigh.

The Secretary said...

OK, I feel ashamed of moaning now. Brought the carpets up a treat though!!! I think it was cheaper for him to buy me that than new carpets!! That'll learn me for having cats and kids.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Surely as it was your birthday, he should have been the one to shampoo the carpets?